Sunday, December 04, 2005

Baking disasters

I was up at 5:30, wrapping presents and watching "As Good As It Gets" while the rest of the fam slept. Lizzy was with me (nursing and snoozing). We've finished our shopping ('cept Lizzy, Troy and I have yet to buy for Dan). One gift still needs to be wrapped - and we have more shipments coming from Amazon. God bless e-tailing.

I made 2 batches of sugar cookie dough, 2 batches peanut butter blossoms, a batch of ginger snaps, 2 loaves banana bread, 24 banana muffins and a batch of chocolate crinkles. There is still a whole batch of sugar cookie dough to bake + some of the trimmings from the first batch. Darien helped me decorate the batch we finished. I have a large, covered tray ready to go to school with her tomorrow, for the teacher's work room - I figured I should get my treats sent in early (and I think Monday is Renee's b'day - head teacher). So, you might wonder where the disaster part figures in - here goes - I burned the muffins, which tasted really bland anyway and then managed to leave the sugar out of the crinkles - yuck. I couldn't figure out why they didn't spread in the oven - tasted one - p'touey.


I have a cookie exchange at Renee's next weekend, following lunch w/ Laura W. I plan to roast a turkey that afternoon, as well. I will put it in the brine solution Friday night. I should put it in the extra fridge in the morning to be sure it starts to thaw. I also need to set out the bread to dry for the stuffing. I will do the turkey, smashed taters (skin on), my basic stuffing (celery, onion, melted butter, chicken broth diluted w/ hot water, salt, pepper and dried cottage bread cut into cubes - no sage or other herbs). The turkey will soak in a brine made from veg broth, peppercorns, etc - from Food Network approx 4 yrs ago - Alton Brown's high heat roast method. I will also attempt my grandmother's parkerhouse rolls. Nobody is coming over or anything. We still have a turkey in the freezer and need to use it. I didn't have to cook T'giving dinner this year & I didn't get the dinner I grew up w/. No gravy. No cranberries.

The girls and I will go to the farm for a big cookie baking day on the 17th. That is also my sisters' birthday (they are twins) and I have suggested a lunch out. We'll see what happens to that plan.
This is the year I said I was going to create the traditional family christmas notebook/planner for all future years. I have only had a couple of folders up to now. I still prefer paper for that sort of thing - I need the doodle factor and my home laptop isn't a tablet.

I don't know what I am doing with my hair - btw. The color, that is. I am stuck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Blonde!!! Like the picture of you and Roxy. Or the one of you and me, for that matter. Blonde!!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Daney said...

Thanks for the vote, Beth! My hair keeps getting darker - it's unreal.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home