Thursday, February 16, 2006

1. Roland Fryer 2. Insenstive remark 3. Something about being "Out There"

1. Beth - not surprised you had to look him up, but would expect ppl here on campus to know him and make a fuss - he's *the* speaker for the celebration of Dr. King's birthday, and the Daily basically said zilch. Oh, and they now have our lecture series available via podcast and I waited and checked daily for his lecture to appear - finally emailed the director yesterday and she said he declined to grant them permission to post it. Bummer. Yeah, he's a bit on the hot side - and so very interesting. Makes me wish I were a better economist so I could appreciate his research even more than I do.

2. Coworker described a group of ppl as "yard apes" - what the heck is that? Doesn't sound good and I am a bit afraid to look it up.

3. What is that I am so fearful of that I don't link my own blog or personal info to comments I post on sites I enjoy? Is it that my blog is "frivolous"? it is. If I am embarassed that it is frivolous, then there's an obvious solution -

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I couldn't resist, because I had no idea what/who she might be talking about. This from answers.com's list of ethnic slurs:
Yard Ape
(U.S.) a black person; cf. porch monkey

I saw somewhere else that it referred to rowdy kids running around unsupervised, but I think you might want to keep on eye/ear on said jr. staffer. He/she probably used it without really knowing what it meant. Happens with our three year olds all the time...

10:05 PM  
Blogger Daney said...

She was using it wrt a special needs population... not good.

I sorta thought that was the meaning.

Now, what to do about it - I have to say something to her because I know what it means and I can prevent her making a mistake in the future.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home